Two second half goals in quick succession sees Hanwell Town back to winning ways

By Joe Acklam

20th Mar 2023 | Football

Hanwell Town break a seven-match winless run with victory over Gosport. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Hanwell Town break a seven-match winless run with victory over Gosport. Photo: Hanwell Town.

A quickfire double sees Hanwell Town break their seven-match winless run with a 2-0 away win at Gosport Borough. 

It was an even first half in which two sides who were struggling for form in recent weeks were settling into the contest. 

Then in the space of 12 second half minutes Mat Mackenzie and Tom McElroy both turned home to see the Geordies take home all three points. 

This win ends Hanwell's seven-game winless run and keeps them well clear of the relegation places. 

Dan Carr had a pair of early chances for the Geordies as first he looked to curl an effort in from the top of the box, but Patrick O'Flaherty made a comfortable save and then Carr let fly from distance and forced the Gosport 'keeper to get down smartly to make the stop. 

After ten minutes Hanwell swung in a corner and Boro half cleared it to the edge of the area and the ball fell to Kain Adom on the right side of the box, he looked to pick out a black and white shirt in the middle but it flashed over the crossbar. 

Gosport Borough came close when Bradley Tarbuck received the ball down the side of the penalty area, he took aim and his shot whistled just the wrong side of the post and rippled the side netting. 

Shortly after Harvey Rew arrived in the box for the hosts at the right time and got his shot off, the ball took a wicked deflection and careered towards the bottom corner, but Revan Constable flew across his line to make the save. 

With half time looming, a miscommunication in the Hanwell defence allowed Dan Wooden to get to the ball first and get a shot off, but Constable made the save. 

Isaac Olorunfemi then went down the other end and his deep cross came off the top of the bar and dropped in the middle, but a follow up from inside the six-yard box went just wide of the goal. 

Five minutes into the second half, Mackenzie rose highest in the penalty area for the Geordies and diverted his header into the back of the net to give Hanwell the lead. 

Wooden then had the chance to level the scores as he managed to round Constable, but his touch gave him too tight of an angle to divert his shot on target. 

Hanwell then doubled their advantage when McElroy went through on O'Flaherty and kept his composure to tuck it beyond the 'keeper. 

Gosport nearly got back into the game late on when Brett Williams was picked out with a cross and his firm header went goalwards, but Constable got his body behind the ball and made the save. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.