Late heartbreak for Hanwell Town against the Metropolitan Police

By Joe Acklam

30th Jan 2023 | Football

Two late goals saw Hanwell Town lose away against the Metropolitan Police. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Two late goals saw Hanwell Town lose away against the Metropolitan Police. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town were stung by two lates goals as they fell to a 2-0 defeat away against the Metropolitan Police in the Southern League Premier South. 

The Geordies were on top for much of the match, but couldn't quite find a way beyond the Met rear guard. 

Then with five minutes remaining Louis Degand turned home a cross before getting his second from a counter attack in stoppage time. 

Defeat has Hanwell in 14th in the table, nine points off the play-off places and eight above the relegation zone. 

It was an end-to-end opening to the match as after ten minutes Lewis Cole had an effort saved by the 'keeper, who immediately launched the ball forward to set the Met Police away, only for the striker to put wide. 

Some sloppy work at the back saw Kain Adom latch onto an under hit back pass, but he couldn't quite get his feet sorted out in time to prod the ball beyond Liam Beach. 

The Hanwell long throws were causing havoc in the Met Police penalty area as first Mat Mackenzie found Calum Duffy, who headed just wide, and then a few minutes later Mackenzie launched another one into the middle, but despite some pinball in the six-yard box, no one could get a shot away. 

After 68 minutes Dan Carr found room and got his shot away and it needed a strong save from Beach to push it around the post for a corner. 

Minutes later Adam Lareef did well to set up Harry Rush, but once again Beach was equal to the shot and he flicked the ball around the post. 

With just over ten minutes remaining the Geordies were still knocking on the door and a pair of corners were both met by Duffy in the middle, but both of his headers went wide of the mark. 

With the game in its dying embers a Hanwell attack was broken up and a long ball forwards saw the Met Police get in down the left and a low cross went all the way to the back post where Degand was waiting to turn home. 

The Geordies were pushing hard for an equalizer and Joshua Strizovic went up for a corner, but the hosts managed to clear and Degand ran clear and rolled the ball into the empty net, despite Carr giving his all to try and get back and prevent it. 


Related Articles

Hanwell Town have won once in their last ten matches. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town well beaten by play-off chasing Swindon Supermarine

Hanwell Town host play-off chasing Swindon Supermarine. Photo:  Jörg Struwe from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town celebrate Non-League Day against Swindon Supermarine

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Ealing Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.