Hanwell Town caught cold against local rivals Hayes and Yeading

By Joe Acklam

27th Feb 2023 | Football

A goal after five minutes proved to be too big of a mountain to climb for Hanwell. Photo: Hanwell Town.
A goal after five minutes proved to be too big of a mountain to climb for Hanwell. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town were caught cold on derby day as an early goal from Hayes and Yeading United saw them fall to their fourth straight defeat. 

Roger James scored after just five minutes for United to give them the perfect start to the local derby. 

The Geordies put them under pressure after the early opener, but never managed to find a way through at the SkyEx Community Stadium. 

A fourth consecutive defeat sees Hanwell in the midst of a very tricky spell and they now sit 14th in the Southern League Premier South table. 

With the first real foray forward of the match, James made a perfectly timed run in behind the Geordies defence to latch onto a through ball and made no mistake with his finish, guiding it into the bottom right corner of the net. 

The early goal gave United a lot of momentum and Hanwell were having to weather a storm to stay in the match, Lewis Cole had to be on alert to divert a dangerous cross from Luke Warner-Eley behind and Matteo Salamon made a good save to deny James. 

After 29 minutes Hanwell got their first real joy of the match when Isaac Olorunfemi made inroads into the Hayes half with a dribble before knocking the ball to Micah Anthony, but his effort from the edge of the box was deflected into the grateful arms of Jacob Adams. 

Shortly before half-time, Kain Adom found space out wide and put a good ball in towards Anthony, the ball went just beyond him and Lewis Cole couldn't direct his header on target at the far post. 

Five minutes into the second half it could have been a disaster for Hanwell when Calum Duffy did not look up when playing a back pass and Salamon had to hurry back to prevent a calamitous own goal. 

The Geordies had gotten over their early struggles and were looking the more likely to get the next goal when Olorunfemi got on the end of a ball into the middle, but he slipped at the crucial moment and ballooned his shot over the top. 

Flo Bojaj raced in behind the Hayes back line and was through on goal, but Paul Field rapidly recovered and made a crucial block to get the hosts off the hook. 

Harry Rush then whipped a free-kick towards the far post, a flick on tested the reflexes of Adams, but he got there and the follow up could only be scrambled against the side netting. 

With Hanwell pushing deep into stoppage time, they had Hayes very nervous with a series of corners at the death, but they managed to deal with it when Adams made a confident claim to ice the game. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.