Hanwell Town's tricky league run continues with defeat against Salisbury

By Joe Acklam

2nd Nov 2022 | Football

Hanwell Town move to three league games without a win after losing at Salisbury. Photo: Grassrootsgroundswell.
Hanwell Town move to three league games without a win after losing at Salisbury. Photo: Grassrootsgroundswell.

Hanwell Town have now gone three games without a win in the Southern League Premier South as they lost 2-0 away against Salisbury FC. 

Dan Ashton gave Salisbury the lead mid-way through a first half in which the Geordies started slowly but did carry a large threat towards the end of the half. 

They failed to get the goal that would have got them back on level terms in the second half before conceding a late sucker punch once they had committed heavily to try and find a goal. 

This game means that Hanwell have taken one point from a possible nine in their last three league games and have now dropped out of the play-offs. 

Salisbury came close to opening the scoring after 12 minutes when a corner was whipped towards the near post and Brandon Goodship stole a march at the near post and diverted it just wide of the post. 

Hanwell were nearly in on 20 minutes when an under-hit Salisbury back pass set Adam Lareef bearing down on goal and he backheeled it towards Kain Adom but couldn't quite find him. 

But Salisbury went up the other end and Ashton found space 25 yards from goal and curled it wonderfully passed Hugo Sobte and into the corner of the net. 

Sobte was equal to the Salisbury effort ten minutes later when the Whites countered quickly and it ended with first half substitute Daniel Fitchett taking his shot which was well saved by the Hanwell number one. 

With half-time looming large Sham Barnwell had two big chances to level the scores as first good work down the right saw the striker picked out at the far post but he headed wide of the mark and then minutes later Lareef had his shot blocked and after it bounced back to him, he found Barnwell but he once again couldn't keep his header on target from close range. 

In stoppage time Barnwell picked out Lareef and he took the ball down and dug out a shot which was well tipped over the bar by Gerard Benfield. 

Hanwell were putting Salisbury under pressure in the second period but struggling to find clear-cut chances, after 68 minutes they had a string of corners and Dwayne Duncan hit the crossbar with a header before the follow-up was well saved by Benfield. 

Benfield once more came to the rescue for Salisbury as Lareef let a shot fly and it looked destined for the net, only for the goalkeeper to dive miraculously across the goal and tip it against the bar. 

Then in stoppage time with every Hanwell player forward for a free-kick and Salisbury countered, Sobte saved the initial effort before Seokjae Lee turned the ball into the net on the rebound. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.