Hanwell Town suffer narrow defeat at the hands of the league leaders

By Joe Acklam

6th Mar 2023 | Football

A penalty sees Hanwell Town's winless run extends to six matches. Photo: Hanwell Town.
A penalty sees Hanwell Town's winless run extends to six matches. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town are undone by a second half penalty as they fell to a 1-0 defeat against league leaders Weston-Super-Mare. 

The Seagulls put Hanwell under pressure in the first half, but the hosts stood up to it and went into the break all square. 

The Geordies then had a penalty disallowed for an offside three minutes before Weston were given one at the other end, which Scott Laird dispatched. 

This makes it six without a win for Hanwell as they slipped down to 15th place in the Southern League Premier South table. 

Ellis Watts had two early sighters in the game as first he took aim from the edge of the box, which Max Merrick comfortably held, and then Watts had a shot from a tight angle, which was again dealt with by the Chelsea loanee. 

The Geordies had their first real sight of goal when a long throw was nodded away, but only as far as Mat Mackenzie and his strike went narrowly over the bar. 

After 18 minutes Dayle Grubb received a pass in space in the centre and he looked to curl a shot into the top corner, but Merrick got across his line and tipped the shot behind for a corner. 

Five minutes into the second period, Marlon Jackson dropped off and played a ball in behind for Watts, he steamed into the box but failed to keep his effort on target. 

Kain Adom managed to get in behind the Seagulls' defence down the side, but Luke Purnell came out of his goal and managed to usher him away from the danger zone and his effort went wide. 

After 65 minutes Hanwell Town were awarded a penalty for a foul in the penalty area, but the linesman had already raised his flag for offside and it was chalked off. 

Then just two minutes later Weston went up the other end and substitute Jordan Bastin was chopped down in the area, the referee pointed to the spot and Laird stepped up and dispatched the penalty into the back of the net to give the league leaders the lead. 

From this point the Seagulls stifled any attempt from Hanwell to try and get back into the game, the visitors closed the game out and came away with the three points. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.