Hanwell Town share the spoils with promotion rivals Swindon Supermarine

By Joe Acklam

27th Oct 2022 | Football

Hanwell Town earn a share of the spoils away against Swindon Supermarine. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Hanwell Town earn a share of the spoils away against Swindon Supermarine. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town grabbed a valuable point on the road following a 1-1 draw against promotion rivals Swindon Supermarine in the Southern League Premier South. 

The match was played at a high tempo, with both sides proving worthy adversaries for the other and plenty of problems were caused at both ends. 

The goals arrived in the space of five second half minutes, as first Mat Mackenzie gave the Geordies the lead, before Harry Williams scored on the rebound to level it up at the Webbswood Stadium. 

Despite having played two promotion rivals in the past five days Hanwell remain in the play-offs as they prevented Supermarine, who are the team directly below them, from picking up all three points. 

Hanwell came out of the blocks quickly and after just four minutes Josh Gould was forced into making a stunning one-handed stop to prevent them taking the lead. 

Supermarine were refusing to back down, however, and came back at Hanwell as Williams went through on Hugo Sobte, but the goalkeeper did well to prevent him from going passed him and then Henry Spalding spooned the rebound wide of the mark. 

Right before half-time Supermarine had a good chance to take the lead with a free-kick given for Dwayne Duncan tripping Williams, for which the defender was booked, but Joe Tumelty blasted the set piece over the top. 

Shortly after the break the Geordies hit the woodwork as Kain Adom got a flick on a long throw but it deflected to safety. 

Hanwell really took the initiative early in the second half and Gould in between the Supermarine sticks was called into making another smart stop after 54 minutes. 

The goal was an inevitability and it arrived in the 63rd minute when a great cross came into the middle which Mackenzie rose highest for and gave the 'keeper no chance of stopping it. 

Their lead didn't last for long as Lewis Cole received a yellow card for his challenge on Tyrone Duffus and the resulting free-kick caused pin ball in the penalty box before and after Sobte had denied one effort it bounced out perfectly for Williams to tap home his 16th goal of the season. 

Just three minutes later Supermarine survived a big scare as Mat Liddiard was forced to head the ball off the line following a dangerous Geordies attack and Carr also darted forwards and called Gould into action to keep the scores. 

With practically the last kick of the game Adom casually looped a shot from range and with it looking destined for the back of the net Gould leapt like a superhero to pluck it out of the top corner and stop Hanwell driving back East with all three points. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.