Hanwell Town outclassed by Slough Town in the FA Trophy

By Joe Acklam

21st Nov 2022 | Football

Hanwell Town have won one of their last eight as Slough Town inflicted another defeat on them. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Hanwell Town have won one of their last eight as Slough Town inflicted another defeat on them. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town were unable to bridge the gap in league standing as they lost 3-0 at home against ten-man National League South outfit Slough Town. 

Arnold Matshazi opened the scoring for the visitors mid-way through the first half to give Hanwell a big job in the second period. 

Slough then put the game well and truly beyond the Geordies late doors as first Manny Williams scored and Josh Jackman added gloss to the score line in second half stoppage time. 

Hanwell exit the FA Trophy at the second-round stage and have now won just once in their last eight matches. 

It could have been the dream start for the Geordies as George Nicholas found himself on the edge of the area after just one minute and rattled the frame of the goal. 

Hanwell kept up the pressure and came close twice more within ten minutes as first Harry Rush drove to the edge of the box and flashed a shot just wide of the left-hand post, before Kain Adom made a good run down the side and cut the ball back, but just behind Sham Barnwell. 

The fast start for the hosts began to fizzle out and after 27 minutes Matshazi picked up a loose ball, made a barrelling run through the middle and nobody could get close to him as he got to the top of the box and he reversed his shot back across his body and into the bottom corner of the net. 

The Geordies could have struck back quickly as they went up the other end and Adom stood a cross up to the back post and Barnwell got on the end of it, but couldn't get the power on his header to trouble Rhys Forster. 

Right before the break a Hanwell short corner went awry and Slough countered and Matshazi rolled in George Wells and his strike flashed just wide of the post. 

Straight after half-time Matshazi ran into the box and his shot was blocked back to Williams who forced a great save from Josh Strizovic. 

After 55 minutes Slough were reduced to ten men as Matt Lench got into a scuffle trying to stop Hanwell taking a free-kick, Sean Kelleher was also sent to the stands for the Geordies. 

The Rebels managed to slow the game down following the red card and after 74 minutes doubled their lead as they got in behind and cut the ball back to Williams who finished calmly beyond Strizovic. 

Then in second half stoppage time it was three as Matshazi ran through on the counter and had his shot saved, before recycling the ball and picked out the advancing Jackman to roll the ball into the corner. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.