Hanwell Town held at home by Beaconsfield in first game of 2023

By Joe Acklam

3rd Jan 2023 | Football

Dwayne Duncan's goal late in the first half saw Hanwell Town begin 2023 with a point. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Dwayne Duncan's goal late in the first half saw Hanwell Town begin 2023 with a point. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Dwayne Duncan's goal late in the first half managed to secure a point for Hanwell Town after a 1-1 draw against Beaconsfield Town. 

Elliott Buchanan turned home from close range after just six minutes to give the Rams an early lead. 

But Duncan nodded beyond Ravan Constable with just a minute remaining in the first half to level up an even encounter. 

The Geordies still have just one win since October as their play-off chances continue to fall away as they are sat in 14th in the Southern League Premier South. 

It was an open game right from the off as Sean Moore played Kweku Lucan through one-on-one, but his composure went missing and the forward scuffed his effort straight at Constable. 

Again, inside five minutes Lucan was causing problems as he ghosted inside his marker down the left and tried his luck from the angle, but failed to keep his shot down. 

After this promising start for the Geordies, Beaconsfield struck first as they went down the other end and flashed the ball across goal and Buchanan made a run into the middle and slammed the ball into the net. 

Hanwell picked themselves up and continued to cause problems as after eight minutes a corner was swung into the middle and Duncan rose highest, but his header was scrambled away to the edge of the box, where Danny Rowe took aim and his effort was deflected wide. 

Kyel Reid found space on the top of the box for the Rams and lined up his shot which rattled the crossbar and bounced to safety. 

Dan Carr then made a great run down the right mid-way through the half and got the ball into the middle for Rowe, but his shot went narrowly wide of the mark. 

After a first half of frustration for Hanwell, they finally found the breakthrough with seconds remaining in the half as a great cross in found Duncan and he emphatically nodded the ball into the back of the net. 

Twenty minutes into the second period, quick thinking from Mat MacKenzie saw him take a throw-in swiftly to set Lucan away, but Constable did well to hold his effort, which was heading high into the net. 

With fifteen minutes remaining a goal line scramble ensued in the box as Lucan and Harry Rush both had shots blocked by defenders, before the ball came back to Carr and his effort went wide of the target. 

In stoppage time Beaconsfield had the chance to win it as the ball fell kindly for Sam Togwell in the area, but he could only divert his effort straight at Joshua Strizovic. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.