Hanwell Town grab a win at Dunstable in the FA Trophy

By Joe Acklam

31st Oct 2022 | Football

Sham Barnwell's first half header sets up an FA Trophy tie against Slough Town. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Sham Barnwell's first half header sets up an FA Trophy tie against Slough Town. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Sham Barnwell's first half header proved to be enough to send Hanwell Town into the FA Trophy second round with a 1-0 win over AFC Dunstable. 

Barnwell headed in a free-kick midway through the first half to get the lead in 45 minutes where both teams created chances. 

The Geordies were able to see out the game in the second half and secure their place in the next round of the FA Trophy. 

Progression with this win sets up a second-round tie for Hanwell against Slough Town of National League South. 

AFC had a big early chance when a long punt from the back set Dunstable in down the right and they put the ball in the middle and Callum Duffy managed to block the shot, there were shouts for handball as the ball bounced up and struck Duffy but the referee didn't give anything. 

Ten minutes later Hanwell could have found the opener when the ball dropped for Tyriq Hunte but he ballooned his half volley well over the top. 

The Geordies were beginning to cause problems at Creasey Park as after 24 minutes Adam Lareef got down the side and squared the ball to Mat MacKenzie and his effort was blocked and it came back to Barnwell but once again the defenders managed to get in the way and deflect the ball to safety. 

Harry Rush lined up a free-kick on the right touchline level with the edge of the centre circle and floated it to the far post where Barnwell rose like a salmon to cushion a header back across goal and into the net. 

The hosts almost levelled it up before half-time as they were able to get in behind the Hanwell defence and curl in a low ball but the finish went wide. 

Hanwell quickly went up the other end and Barnwell could have gotten his and the team's second as he received the ball in the box, sat down the goalkeeper but fired into the side netting. 

Kain Adom was inches away from doubling the lead as he received the ball and set off on the dribble and curved his shot beyond the despairing goalkeeper but against the crossbar. 

The woodwork once again came to Dunstable's rescue a few minutes later as Dwayne Duncan's fine header struck the post and bounced clear of danger. 

A big chance for the leveller came after 80 minutes as the ball fell nicely for Louie Collier on the edge of the box and he flashed his shot agonisingly wide of the post. 

Then with two minutes to play AFC put a searching ball into the middle but John Shamalo went to ground instead of going for the header and it bounced out for a Hanwell goal kick. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.