Hanwell Town end their winless run with comfortable victory at Winchester

By Joe Acklam

17th Apr 2023 | Football

Hanwell Town ended their five-match winless run against Winchester City. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Hanwell Town ended their five-match winless run against Winchester City. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town managed to end their five-match winless run with a comfortable 3-0 victory on the road against Winchester City. 

Kain Adom scored at the start and end of the first half to put the Geordies in a commanding position at the break. 

A late goal from Dwayne Duncan made absolutely sure that Hanwell would be heading back to Ealing with all three points. 

Victory in their last away game of the season sees the Geordies leapfrog Winchester in the table ahead of finishing the season next weekend. 

The hosts wasted no time in trying to assert themselves on Hanwell as from kick-off they drove forwards and Jamie Barron attempted a half volley from the edge of the area, but it drifted harmlessly over the bar. 

Hanwell thought they had taken the lead after five minutes when Harry Rush whipped in a free kick that was met by Anthony Cheshire from five yards out, but his point-blank header was saved by Jordi Valero Miret. 

It was Winchester's turn to be mystified at how they didn't take the lead as Oliver Balmer drilled a cross low across the six-yard box, but no one was on hand to steer it home. 

Inside twenty minutes it was Hanwell that took the lead as Rush won the ball back in midfield and swiftly sent Adom in behind and he lifted the ball over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net. 

Lewis Cole sent a searching ball into the box that was won by Calum Duffy and his header went narrowly over the top of the bar. 

Just after the half hour mark Balmer turned well in the Hanwell area and directed a shot at goal, but Max Merrick got behind it and then reacted quickly to smother his initial parry. 

Winchester then thought they had equalised as a cross came in under the crossbar and Merrick got up to catch it, the home side claimed the ball was over the line, but the assistant referee disagreed. 

Hanwell then doubled their lead as Rush hit a corner into the middle where Adom diverted the ball into the top corner. 

Jacob Gardiner-Smith was spectacularly denied after 70 minutes when his shot forced the best reactions out of Valero Miret before Adom's cutback was scrambled clear. 

Ten minutes from time Hanwell got their third as Adom whipped a ball into the middle and Duncan nodded it beyond the 'keeper, he was then booked in the aftermath for celebrating in front of the City bench. 

Duffy did appear to have made it four in stoppage time, but the assistant referee had his flag up to rule it out for offside. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.