Hanwell Town cruise into the FA Trophy First Round

By Joe Acklam

10th Oct 2022 | Football

Hanwell marched into the FA Trophy First Round with a comfortable win. Photo: Hanwell Town.
Hanwell marched into the FA Trophy First Round with a comfortable win. Photo: Hanwell Town.

Hanwell Town put in a comprehensive performance to beat Cray Wanderers 3-1 in the FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round. 

Dan Rowe headed home from a long throw in the first half to give the Geordies the lead at the break. 

Then two goals in the space of three minutes, first from Adam Lareef and then Sham Barnwell made progression to the next round safe, despite a stoppage time consolation from Tom Stagg. 

The victory means that Hanwell are into the FA Trophy First Round proper and will play away against AFC Dunstable on 29th October. 

Cray had the first chance of the game six minutes in as a cross went into the Hanwell box to be flicked on by Tom Derry but Dan Bassett scuffed his shot wide of the mark. 

The opening 20 minutes was even and the Geordies produced their first chance when Lareef played a quick one-two with Chid Onokwai to get in on goal and forced a good save out of Shaun Rowley. 

The goal came not long after as Mat Mackenzie's long throw caused difficulties for yet another side and a flick on left Rowe free to head in the opener. 

Just before half-time the Wanderers had a free-kick out wide and it was a piece of great delivery to Mitch Chapman and he headed not far over the bar. 

Hanwell came flying out of the traps in the second half and had two narrow misses within two minutes from a cross, Kain Adom had a shot blocked before it bounced to Harry Rush and he fired over the top. 

The Geordies went close once again just after the hour mark as Rowe did well down the right to set up Barnwell and he rattled the crossbar with an effort. 

They didn't have to wait much longer for the second as with 64 minutes on the clock Dwayne Duncan head the ball across the box and found Lareef who took a touch to steady himself and fire home. 

Two quickly became three as Dan Carr found space on the right and sent in a searching cross to find an unmarked Barnwell and his powerful header went beyond the goalkeeper and into the net. 

With five minutes to go the Geordies did make it four only for it to be ruled out for a foul on the 'keeper and then the consolation came in stoppage time when Stagg notched his first for Cray Wanderers. 


Related Articles

Tilbury FC before the matc h with their mascots from East Thurrock Youth.

North Greenford United's Wembley dream goes on after penalty shootout triumph

Hanwell Town have confirmed their second straight season in the seventh tier. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hanwell Town finish season against Hartley Wintney

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Ealing with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.